Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Chris Whitley 1960-2005

Chris Whitley 1960-2005
 
One of the most phenomenal singers songwriters and slide guitar players I have ever seen. Chris was the one artist that drew Luke and Jason and I together in the first place to play original music. I saw Chris perform 6 times. Opening for Tom Petty in 1991 with Adam at Lakewood, at Center Stage in 1992 with Jason, twice in 1995 with Luke at The Highlander, and twice at The Cotton Club with Mark, Luke, Jason, Shew & Jerry. Each show was unique. Some were full band, some were acoustic, some were blisteringly loud, some were intimate and direct. Every show was top notch.  There are a whole lot of great records to enjoy (and a new one set for this month). I'll miss not being able to see him perform. I hope he gets the credit he deserves from the music world.
 
Sorry about your dad Tadpole....
 
 

 Words from Trixie Whitley:

My father took his last breath last night the 20th of November. I would like to make it clear that the people he needed and loved the most were with him while and when he left in peace. Those were Dan, Susann and me.
I would also like to ask you guys to understand there is a very fine line between Chris Whitley the legendary musician and Chris Whitley the Father, Brother, and Lover.

This was my Dad's favorite line from the first song I ever wrote, this is for you Daddy:

"Like the feather we blow away, in the thoughtlessness of words others say."

All faith and peace,
Trixie Whitley



--
Eric Leland
www.leland-nation.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home